Fall Back into Fitness
by Amy Kessler, ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
Fall is a great time to get back into your fitness routine. Work, school and social routines get back on track—and with a little effort, so will your work-out schedule!
Research shows that forming a fitness habit is more beneficial than a sporadic exercise routine. Below are some tips to help you find your way:
- Exercise the same time of day so it becomes a regular part of your lifestyle. For example, you might walk every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from 12 to 1 p.m.
- Plan your week in advance. Look ahead at your commitments and make sure you schedule time to exercise multiple times each week.
- Try a new class or new exercise once a week. It will give you something different to look forward to while providing a good challenge for your exercise routine.
- Grab a friend and sign up for a fitness event (5K race, stair climb or bike race). It will help keep you on track as you stay motivated for your event.
- Reward yourself when you reach milestones. Splurge on new gym shoes, a new pair of running shorts or a workout outfit.
- Plan a weekend getaway based around activity, such as an organized walk/run, exploring new hiking trails or riding a scenic bike path.
- Pack your workout clothes when you travel for business! Check out the hotels to make sure they have a fitness center. Most concierge services can provide walking/running routes (make sure they are safe) or alternate workout facility ideas.
- HAVE FUN! New exercise routines can be challenging and hard, but add a little fun and you will stick to the plan!
For even more fitness tips, talk to one of our fitness specialists, call us at (847) 535-7000 or contact us.